Reporting to the Software Librarian Team Leader of the Computer and Storage Management (CSM) Competence Area, the Software Build and Deployment Engineer and support all phases of software development, deployment and usage within EUMETSAT´s operational computer systems. The tasks encompass the building, packaging and distribution/deployment of operational software and the maintenance and evolution of the software management environments and tools.
- Support the building, packaging and distribution of software releases and patches on the operational systems in close coordination with the Configuration Management team;
- Support the maintenance and evolution of the environments and tools used for the as-built software management;
- Provision of support to internal/external SW development or maintenance activities in terms of software build and deployment process, environment and tools;
- Support the installation, configuration and troubleshooting of externally developed software;
- Support the investigation, documentation and classification of anomalies, and follow up on the delivery/implementation of the associated software corrections;
- Analysis, planning and performance of hardware and software upgrades or reconfigurations;
- Ensure the provision of CSM services to internal customers in compliance with service level agreement (SLA);
- Deputise for the CSM Software Library Team Leader as needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven experience in maintaining large-scale computer systems in operational, highly-available and time critical environments;
- Advanced knowledge in Operating Systems and System Administration skills:
- Linux, AIX, Solaris;
- VMware Virtualization technology;
- Knowledge and experience in using Unix/Linux command line tools
- Scripting languages (e.g. shell, Perl, Python)
- Networking, distributed applications, and TCP/IP services (DHCP, DNS, PXE)
- Strong knowledge of software build and packaging technologies:
- Environments and tools (like Ant, Maven, Make)
- Version Control Systems (such as SVN, CVS, GIT)
- Software packaging formats (like RPM, PKG, LPP, TGZ)
- High-level programming languages (C/C++, Java, VB)
- Ability to prepare technical documentation in English in a complete and clear manner;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, combined with a proven ability to apply these to working within, and across, teams.
- A university degree in computer science (or equivalent)
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and have some knowledge of French.
The initial contract will be of 4 years’ duration, with subsequent 5 year contracts being awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisation requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63 and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT.
This post is graded A2/A4 on the EUMETSAT salary scales. The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 5,612 per month (net of internal tax) which may be negotiable based on skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits. Further information, including salary details, is available on the EUMETSAT web site.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunities work environment for men and women.
Please note that only nationals of EUMETSAT Member States may apply. The EUMETSAT Convention requires that Staff shall be recruited based on their qualifications, account being taken of the international character of EUMETSAT.
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)