We are currently looking for an experienced Ground Segment Engineer to join our international team of young and inspiring engineers and industry professionals, tasked with driving innovation within the Space, Satellite and Earth Observation sector.
This role is routed in EUMETSAT’s commitment to the European Union's Copernicus Earth observation programme and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts to make a positive impact on society!
Copernicus is the European Union's Earth observation programme, coordinated and managed by the European Commission in partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA) and EUMETSAT. Its current and future missions are to deliver high quality, wide range Earth observation services providing information to, among other things, improve the management of the environment, understand and mitigate the effects of climate change, and ensure civil security.
The Ground Segment Engineer will support future Copernicus Sentinel missions through their participation in ground segment requirements and design studies, and eventually in ground segment developments. He/she will be involved in the integration, verification & validation of the ground segment for “Jason-CS/Sentinel-6” missions in preparation for similar activities for future Sentinel missions.
- Contribute to the definition of ground segment requirements for future Copernicus Missions of relevance to EUMETSAT;
- With support from the Technical and Scientific Support (TSS) Department, analyse technical requirements for the payload data processing sub-segment and perform design trade-offs targeting the most cost-efficient reuse of EUMETSAT infrastructure and knowledge;
- Contribute to the preliminary design of the overall ground segment of the future CO2 monitoring mission in cooperation with ESA, and to the preparation of the full development phase;
- In the design and development phases
- Follow-up and support ground segment tasks delegated to the TSS department;
- Follow-up the design and development of ground segment facilities and required upgrades of multi-mission ground infrastructure elements;
- Provide ground segment engineering support to system activities.
- In close coordination with the Sentinel-6 System Engineering & Operations Preparation Manager
- Support the completion of Jason-CS/Sentinel-6 System Integration, Verification and Validation activities, to prepare for similar activities for Future Sentinel missions.
- Excellent salary, of up to Euro 6,500 NET (after tax) monthly based on skills and experience
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave
- Full medical coverage for employee and family
- Attractive pension
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays
- Training and development support
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable)
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven experience in the design and development of ground segments for Earth Observation satellite systems;
- Solid experience in engineering, requirements and interface management, integration, validation, verification and functional maintenance of GS systems and related infrastructure in an operational environment;
- Proficiency and experience in the definition and implementation of engineering processes for sustaining, maintaining and evolving operational ground systems;
- Practical experience and knowledge of relevant systems engineering standards, methods and tools for requirement / specification management and verification;
- Excellent team working, communication and presentation skills;
- University degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (i.e. Engineering) and a minimum of 3 years of experience in relevant projects
More about us
EUMETSAT’s role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT can recruit nationals only from the 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom).